Students will generate ideas for a video game based on the theory of natural selection. Students will refresh their understanding of natural selection and survival of the fittest and then work collaboratively to create Game Design Document that describes their ideas for a game about natural selection.
- understand the theories of natural selection and survival of the fittest and how they are related.
- demonstrate the theory of natural selection in a game format
- work collaboratively to generate ideas for a video game.
Activity guides and printables
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- digital literacy
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content description:
Year 10 Science:
- Use the theory of evolution by natural selection to explain past and present diversity and analyse the scientific evidence supporting the theory (AC9S10U02)
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students explain the processes that underpin heredity and genetic diversity and describe the evidence supporting the theory of evolution by natural selection.
NSW Syllabus outcomes: SC4-14LW
- Device capable of sharing a YouTube video (optional)
- Devices with internet access
- Pens and paper for sketching
- Student Worksheet
This is a Cool+ lesson.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low - facilitate class discussion and oversee group work.
Related Professional Learning
We don’t have any related professional courses for this lesson at the moment, but we do have heaps of other Cool professional learning here.