This lesson explores the concepts of volunteering and community service as well as the benefits of participating in these activities. Through viewing a short online clip and internet research, students will be introduced to La Trobe University’s Aspire Generation, and will explore how they themselves can become positive contributors to their community.
- What is volunteering?
- What is community service?
- What can I contribute to my local community?
- What skills do volunteering/community service help to develop?
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 9 Work Studies:
- Plan and implement strategies and processes to improve their learning and enhance the potential to realise their aspirations and personal wellbeing (ACWSCL005)
Year 10 Work Studies:
- Focus their learning strategies on personal and work-related aspirations (ACWSCL024)
Relevant parts of Year 9 achievement standards: Students investigate the skills and personal qualities associated with a range of occupations and explain the importance of teamwork and collaboration.
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students explain the relationship between changing circumstances, learning and 21st century work opportunities and identify the skills needed to manage changes.
Unit of work: Aspire Generation – Work Studies
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion.
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet
- Device capable of an online image search (one per student or enough for one between two)
- Butcher’s paper, blu-tack, ‘Chalk Talk’ visible thinking routine prompts (print enough copies so that there are enough for one per group of 3-4 students)
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- Critical thinking
- Social skills
This lesson supports La Trobe University’s Aspire Generation initiative, which empowers students to drive change through community engagement, volunteerism and leadership opportunities.