Having studied marine protected areas, students now explore Dr Sylvia Earle’s initiative, Mission Blue Hope Spots.
- explore Dr Sylvia Earle’s Mission Blue Hope Spots
- investigate Mission Blue Hope Spots in regards to why the location was nominated for protection.
- recall details about Dr Sylvia Earle’s Mission Blue Hope Spots
- explain why particular locations have been nominated as ‘Hope Spots’.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content descriptions:
- locate, collect and organise information and data from primary and secondary sources in a range of formats (AC9HS5S02)
- the influence of people, including First Nations Australians and people in other countries, on the characteristics of a place (AC9HS5K04)
- propose actions or responses to issues or challenges and use criteria to assess the possible effects (AC9HS5S06)
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 5 achievement standards:
By the end of Year 5, students identify and describe different possible responses to a geographical challenge. They locate, collect and organise data and information from a range of sources to answer inquiry questions.
- Access to the film Blueback
- Access to Mission Blue Hope Spots (mission-blue.org/category/hope-spots/)
- Device capable of presenting video, audio, text and images to the class
- Individual devices with access to the Internet (one per student)
- Students’ vocabulary banks
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- Digital literacy
- Ethical understanding
- Global citizenship
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium: Teachers should read this resource and its associated materials before delivering the lesson. There may be concepts covered that require further reading or extra preparation. Some of the activities may need to be planned in context to teachers’ classrooms. This lesson requires for students to navigate through Mission Blue’s Hope Spots website which teachers will need to familiarise themselves with before using them with students.
Minderoo Foundation is proud to be the education partner for the film adaption of Tim Winton’s best-selling book, Blueback.
Related professional learning
Quick summary: Open your students’ minds to how different systems – environmental, social and economic – are connected.