Students explore the benefits and challenges of teamwork. They begin by completing an activity both individually and collaboratively, and reflect on their experiences. They then explore how the Global Problems Solvers team is made up of people with different skills and qualities, and they reflect on how or why these differences might be a positive or might present challenges. Students then work collaboratively to reflect on some of the challenges that are common to teamwork and develop a set of teamwork guidelines for overcoming these challenges that can be used throughout the rest of this [unit](https://www.coolaustralia.org/unit/cisco-global-problem-solvers-hass-years-3-4/) for any group activities.
- understand the benefits and challenges associated with working in teams
- recognise some of the ways these challenges can be overcome
- work individually and collaboratively
- generate and communicate solutions
- think critically about working collaboratively
Lesson guides and printables
Australian curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 HASS:
- Interact with others with respect to share points of view (ACHASSI059)
- Present ideas, findings and conclusions in texts and modes that incorporate digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms (ACHASSI061)
Year 4 HASS:
- Interact with others with respect to share points of view (ACHASSI080)
- Present ideas, findings and conclusions in texts and modes that incorporate digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms (ACHASSI082)
Syllabus outcomes: GE2-4.
Relevant parts of Year 3 HASS achievement standards: Students communicate their ideas, findings and conclusions in oral, visual and written forms using simple discipline-specific terms.
Relevant parts of Year 4 HASS achievement standards: Students present ideas, findings and conclusions using discipline-specific terms in a range of communication forms.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Cisco Global Problem Solvers – HASS – Years 3 & 4
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – lead students in guided discussion, assist students in creating teamwork guidelines
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- Social skills
These lessons have been developed in partnership with Cisco. Cisco believes that our future will be defined by global problem solvers – global citizens ready to thrive in a connected and digital future by thinking like entrepreneurs, innovating like technologists, and acting as agents of social change.