In this activity students will create artworks based on the ‘Pencil vs Camera’ series by Ben Heine. Students will use their own nature photo and create a cartoon image to overlay this photo. Students will present their works to the class for discussion.
- recognise that there are multiple forms of environmental art
- understand that materials and practices are as important to creating art as the message and intention of the art.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Years 5 & 6 Visual Arts:
- Explore ideas and practices used by artists, including practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, to represent different views, beliefs and opinions (ACAVAM114)
- Develop and apply techniques and processes when making their artworks (ACAVAM115)
- Plan the display of artworks to enhance their meaning for an audience (ACAVAM116)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking, Ethical understanding.
Time required: 2 x 48 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity and facilitate discussion
- Internet access
- Access to library
- Student worksheet
Artist used in this resource: