Students conduct an experiment to measure the effect of insulators on the rate of ice melting.
- describe how to cause or prevent a change of state.
- conduct an experiment to prove a theory.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content descriptions:
Students learn to:
- investigate the observable properties of solids and liquids and how adding or removing heat energy leads to a change of state (AC9S3U04)
Relevant parts of Year 3 achievement standards:
By the end of Year 3, students describe how to cause a change of state.
- Aluminium foil
- Fabric, such as teatowels
- Ice cubes
- Several small cardboard boxes
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- critical thinking
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium - support students in the theories, practical experimentation, and explaining and recording their observations.
This is an original Cool+ lesson.
Related professional learning
Quick summary: This course will help teachers better understand and apply evidence-based tools for effective science teaching.