In this activity students role-play animals of the ocean and are asked to think about how these creatures interact with each other, and how these interactions are important to the life and health of the ocean.
- understand that marine animals interact with other animals and with the reef
- recognise that marine creatures play an important role in keeping our oceans healthy.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 1 Science:
- Living things live in different places where their needs are met (ACSSU211)
- Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables (ACSIS027)
Year 2 Science:
- Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables (ACSIS040)
- Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves (ACSSU030)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-10LW, ST1-11LW.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Time required: 30 min.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate activity.
- Open space
- White or blackboard
- Art materials
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.