Different cultures have developed different methods of multiplication. In this series of activities, we explore different multiplication methods to strengthen students' number understanding and provide them with different methods for tackling multiplication. In this activity, students will explore the Chinese Method of multiplication.
- explore and apply the Chinese Method of Multiplication.
- explain and apply the Chinese Method of multiplication
- discuss different methods for multiplication.
Lesson guides and printables
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- creative thinking
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content descriptions - English
Students learn to:
- multiply and divide one- and two-digit numbers, representing problems using number sentences, diagrams and arrays, and using a variety of calculation strategies (AC9M3N04)
- use mathematical modelling to solve practical problems involving additive and multiplicative situations, including financial contexts; formulate the problems using number sentences and choose efficient calculation strategies, using digital tools where appropriate; interpret and communicate solutions in terms of the situation (AC9M4N08).
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Numeracy
Relevant parts of Year 3 & 4 achievement standards: They use mathematical modelling to solve practical problems involving single-digit multiplication and division, recalling multiplication facts for twos, threes, fours, fives and tens, and using a range of strategies. Students use their proficiency with addition and multiplication facts to add and subtract, multiply and divide numbers efficiently.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Target 4.6: By 2030, ensure that all youth and a substantial proportion of adults, both men and women, achieve literacy and numeracy.
- Board to demonstrate method
- Student notebooks and writing implements
- Optional: calculators and timers
- Student Worksheet - We have provided differentiated worksheets so you can choose the level appropriate for your students.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High-explicit teaching of mathematical method.