Students will learn about DNA and how to use it as evidence in forensic investigations. Students will also learn about some of the limitations of using DNA evidence.
- understand what DNA is and how to use it in forensic investigations
- understand the limitations of using DNA in forensic investigations
- be introduced to some of the technology used to analyse DNA samples.
- identify what DNA is and how it is used in forensic investigations
- name and describe some of the technology used to analyse DNA samples.
Lesson guides and printables
21st Century Skills
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- critical thinking
- ethical understanding
- problem solving
Australian Curriculum content descriptions (v9):
Year 10 Science:
- explain the role of meiosis and mitosis and the function of chromosomes, DNA and genes in heredity and predict patterns of Mendelian inheritance (AC9S10U01)
- explain how scientific knowledge is validated and refined, including the role of publication and peer review (AC9S10H01)
- analyse the key factors that contribute to science knowledge and practices being adopted more broadly by society (AC9S10H03)
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students explain the processes that underpin heredity and genetic diversity and describe the evidence supporting the theory of evolution by natural selection. Students analyse the importance of publication and peer review in the development of scientific knowledge and analyse the relationship between science, technologies and engineering. They analyse the key factors that influence interactions between science and society.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work: Real-life CSI – Secondary
Time required: 65 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion and assistance with practical work required
- a device capable of presenting a video to the class.
- glove with a hair inside
- hairnets (for student/s collecting the evidence)
- lab coat (for student/s collecting the evidence)
- magnifying glass
- rubber gloves (for student/s collecting the evidence)
- Student Worksheet.
This is an original Cool+ lesson.