Students will conduct research to identify the scientific benefits of practising a growth mindset or positive self-talk. They will present their findings as a TED talk and further demonstrate their learnings by responding to a series of questions developed by their peers.
- investigate and report on the scientific benefits associated with practising a growth mindset or positive self-talk.
- explain the purpose of positive self-talk and identify how it differs from toxic positivity
- prepare and perform a TED talk outlining the scientific benefits of practising a growth mindset or positive self-talk
- describe how they engage in self-talk and identify areas and strategies for improvement.
Lesson guides and printables
- Digital literacy
- Community engagement
Health and Physical Education – Years 7 and 8 – Personal, social and community health – Making healthy and safe choices:
- Plan and implement strategies, using health resources, to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, relationships and wellbeing (AC9HP8P10).
General Capabilities – Personal and Social Capability – Years 7 and 8 – Self-awareness:
- Evaluate how emotional responses influence behaviour and consider the consequences of these responses.
Syllabus outcome: (PD4-7)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
This lesson has been created in collaboration with LifeChanger Foundation to support teachers to deliver high-quality Health and Physical Education, as well as Social and Emotional Learning experiences.
LifeChanger’s facilitated programs and workshops aim to empower young people (Year 5-12) to live thriving, resilient lives. For more information, visit lifechanger.org.au.