Students will develop their understanding of how failure can contribute to personal growth and learning through a group debate. They will identify their own learning from personal failures and apply this knowledge to solidify a growth-based approach to facing challenges in life.
- recognise their existing strengths to overcome challenges and the value of failure to develop personal attributes.
- discuss how different challenges and failed attempts can help to develop personal qualities and skills
- conduct research and develop sound arguments for a class debate
- explain how personal hardship and failure have helped them learn and grow.
Lesson guides and printables
- Social skills
- Creative thinking
- Critical thinking
Health and Physical Education – Years 7 and 8 – Personal, social and community health – Identities and change:
- Analyse and reflect on the influence of values and beliefs on the development of identities (AC9HP8P01).
General Capabilities – Personal and Social Capability – Years 7 and 8 – Self-awareness:
- Evaluate strategies for developing personal qualities and describe how they assist achieving growth.
Syllabus outcome: (PD4-1)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
- Debate Planning worksheet (1 per team)
- Digital devices (ideally 1 per student)
- Blank A4 paper (1 per student)
- Pen (1 per student)
This lesson has been created in collaboration with LifeChanger Foundation to support teachers to deliver high-quality Health and Physical Education, as well as Social and Emotional Learning experiences.
LifeChanger’s facilitated programs and workshops aim to empower young people (Year 5-12) to live thriving, resilient lives. For more information, visit lifechanger.org.au.