Students will reflect on the importance of maintaining their mental health and on different ways to seek help when they need it. They will research organisations that offer free support for young people and role-play scenarios to reduce fear and uncertainty associated with contacting support services.
- explore mental health support services available to them and deepen their understanding of help-seeking.
- explain the purpose of positive self-talk and identify how it differs from toxic positivity
- prepare and perform a TED talk outlining the scientific benefits of practising a growth mindset or positive self-talk
- describe how they engage in self-talk and identify areas and strategies for improvement.
Lesson guides and printables
- Community engagement
- Critical thinking
Health and Physical Education – Years 7 and 8 – Personal, social and community health – Making healthy and safe choices:
- Refine protective behaviours and evaluate community resources to seek help for themselves and others (AC9HP8P08).
General Capabilities – Personal and Social Capability – Years 7 and 8 – Self-management:
- Manage emotional responses, designing strategies to self-manage in a range of contexts.
Syllabus outcome: (PD4-2)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development
This lesson has been created in collaboration with LifeChanger Foundation to support teachers to deliver high-quality Health and Physical Education, as well as Social and Emotional Learning experiences.
LifeChanger’s facilitated programs and workshops aim to empower young people (Year 5-12) to live thriving, resilient lives. For more information, visit lifechanger.org.au.