- Year 3 - 6
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures
- The Arts
- Indigenous Education
- Social Action
Reconciliation Australia and Cool Australia have teamed up to create teaching resources designed to support inquiry into the histories and cultures of Australia’s First Peoples.
The teaching resources harness the power of the ‘Who We Are: Brave New Clan’ films, which follow the lives of six exceptional young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as they share stories about their communities, histories and cultures in contemporary Australia.
You can purchase a DVD or digital file of this amazing documentary from Ronin Films here.
These resources support schools taking action for reconciliation, as supported by Narragunnawali: Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning, a program designed to help schools develop environments that foster a higher level of knowledge and pride in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures and contributions.
We respectfully caution Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples that this resource may contain images and names of people who have passed away.
Each lesson contains engaging activities, factsheets, teacher background information, tips and assessment ideas.
Through these three units, students will develop understandings around:
(1) The diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, histories and cultures
(2) Cultural expression through being, knowing, thinking and doing
(3) The aspirations, achievements and contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people