Did you know you have a superpower? It’s your breath and the way you breathe! In this activity, you and your kid/s will participate in a mindful breathing exercise that will help you both learn how to shift emotional states. Using the element of water, it explores breath and emotional regulation to help calm high-energy children, or prepare them for a task where they need to focus.
Lesson guides and printables
Learning Outcome 1:
- Children have a strong sense of identity
- 1.1 Children feel safe, secure, and supported
- 1.2 Children develop their emerging autonomy, interdependence, resilience and sense of agency
Learning Outcome 3:
- Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- 3.1 Children become strong in their social and emotional wellbeing
- 3.2 Children take increasing responsibility for their own health and physical wellbeing
Learning Outcome 5:
- Children are effective communicators
- 5.1 Children interact verbally and nonverbally with others for a range of purposes
- A device for sharing a clip with children
- An indoor or outdoor space to conduct your breathing activity with children
- Water image – printed
This activity has been developed in partnership with Beata Heymann from Breath Circle.
We also thank the Phillips Foundation and the Thyne Reid Foundation for their continued support.