Students are challenged to reduce the amount of rubbish their family sends to landfill. This is primarily a homework activity.
- understand that a family can reduce the amount of rubbish they send to landfill through the 3Rs+C
- recognise that there are many environmental and social benefits of recycling and composting
- learn that there are many environmental benefits of cutting the rubbish that is sent to landfill (especially as it will reduce the amount of methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas, from being formed in the landfill).
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 7 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
- Use a range of software, including word processing programs, to confidently create, edit and publish written and multimodal texts (ACELY1728)
Year 7 Science:
- Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation types, including fieldwork and experiments, ensuring safety and ethical guidelines are followed (ACSIS125)
Year 8 English:
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
- Use a range of software, including word processing programs, to create, edit and publish texts imaginatively (ACELY1738)
Year 8 Science:
- Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation types, including fieldwork and experiments, ensuring safety and ethical guidelines are followed (ACSIS140)
- Communicate ideas, findings and solutions to problems using scientific language and representations using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS148)
Time required: This activity will need to be conducted over one month as a home activity. In addition, this activity requires one or two 48 min sessions for presentations and discussion.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – assist students in the design of the activity.
- Art materials
- Computer with internet access
- Student Worksheet
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.