Teachers can use this lesson to introduce Earth Hour to their students and promote participation in their Earth Hour Action. Students will watch a short video, participate in discussion and complete worksheet activities. This lesson helps teachers draw attention to the issues of climate change affecting the places we love in Australia. It meets selected Australian Curriculum outcomes for Years 7 and 8 in the subject of English.
- understand the aims of Earth Hour
- determine ways in which they can get involved with the Earth Hour movement
- consider steps they could take to raise awareness about climate change in their community.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 7 English:
- Discuss aspects of texts, for example their aesthetic and social value, using relevant and appropriate metalanguage (ACELT1803)
- Understand, interpret and discuss how language is compressed to produce a dramatic effect in film or drama, and to create layers of meaning in poetry, for example haiku, tankas, couplets, free verse and verse novels (ACELT1623)
- Use prior knowledge and text processing strategies to interpret a range of types of texts (ACELY1722)
Year 8 English:
- Recognise and explain differing viewpoints about the world, cultures, individual people and concerns represented in texts (ACELT1807)
- Analyse how the text structures and language features of persuasive texts, including media texts, vary according to the medium and mode of communication (ACELA1543)
- Apply increasing knowledge of vocabulary, text structures and language features to understand the content of texts (ACELY1733)
Cross curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.1, OI.6.
Syllabus Outcomes: EN4-1A, EN4-2A, EN4-5C, EN4-8D.
Time needed: 60 minutes.
- Student Worksheet
This lesson has been created in partnership with WWF-Australia. Earth Hour is the world’s largest community-driven climate change campaign. At the centre of Earth Hour is switching off lights to show a commitment to taking action. Thousands of teachers use Earth Hour’s education program to enrich their curriculum and provide pathways for young people to create change in their world.
For the most up to date Earth Hour dates, times, and events, check here.