Students conduct an experiment that demonstrates how a water turbine can form a critical part of an electrical generator.
- understand the role of circuit components in the transfer and transformation of electrical energy.
- conduct an experiment to prove a theory.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content descriptions:
Students learn to:
- investigate the transfer and transformation of energy in electrical circuits, including the role of circuit components, insulators and conductors (AC9S6U03)
Relevant parts of Year 6 achievement standards:
By the end of Year 6, students identify the role of circuit components in the transfer and transformation of electrical energy.
- Large plastic bottle x 3 per group
- Pencil or knitting needle
- Straws x 3
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- critical thinking
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium - support students in the theories, practical experimentation, and explaining and recording their observations.
Related professional learning
Quick summary: This course will help you to view the world with a more critical eye by introspectively exploring your own biases of thinking.