Students prepare a plan to improve their classroom waste collection system.
- understand that different types of containers are used in classrooms to collect different types of waste.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 1 English:
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
- Create short imaginative and informative texts that show emerging use of appropriate text structure, sentence-level grammar, word choice, spelling, punctuation and appropriate multimodal elements, for example illustrations and diagrams (ACELY1661)
Year 1 Science:
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 English
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Year 2 Science
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate activity.
- Art materials, pens, pencils, paper, cameras and access to a computer and printer, student worksheet.
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.