Students take part in a nature walk to connect to their local environment. They demonstrate their prior knowledge of ecosystems by contributing to a class mural. Students draw and cut out different elements that they would find in their environment and place them on the mural.
- use a basic concept of scale when they paint/draw their images and use location to place their images on the mural.
- connect to nature by discovering their local environment.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian curriculum content description:
Science Year 1:
- Living things live in different places where their needs are met (ACSSU211)
Science Year 2:
- Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves (ACSSU030)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-10LW, ST1-11LW.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.2.
Time required: 60+ mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – Prepare surface for the mural and conduct a nature walk.
- Art materials including scissors and paste
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet
Following this lesson is an ideal way for students to participate in Planet Ark’s Schools Tree Day – the largest nature-care event in Australian schools. You and your students will join thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference, fostering a child’s love of nature and creating positive environmental change. So, get growing! It only takes a minute to register for Schools Tree Day.