Cool takes you through some practical tips for discussing topics that might be emotionally challenging for students in a safe and supportive way in the classroom.
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) Years 9 & 10 Health and Physical Education:
- Evaluate the influence of respect, empathy, power and coercion on establishing and maintaining respectful relationships (AC9HP10P04)
- Evaluate emotional responses in different situations to refine strategies for managing emotions (AC9HP10P06)
- Plan, justify and critique strategies to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, relationships and wellbeing (AC9HP10P10)
Relevant parts of Years 9 & 10 Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students propose and evaluate personal strategies to manage their identities, emotions and responses to change. They evaluate how attitudes and beliefs about equality, respect, diversity and inclusion influence the nature and quality of relationships. Students propose and justify strategies to manage online and offline situations where their own or others’ health, safety, relationships or wellbeing may be at risk.
More Content Like This
Want to offer your class a bit more? Here are some presentations, lessons and factsheets that can be used with this video.
- Cool+ Professional Learning: How to Manage Challenging Conversations
- Cool.org Lesson: Tackling Racism - Challenging Conversations
- Cool.org Factsheet: eSafety - Age-Inappropriate Conversations - Teacher Factsheet
- Cool.org Lesson: The Oasis - Conversations About Youth Homelessness