Students communicate positive messages about green waste recycling by planning a communication project based on creating a slogan, rhyme, rap, or by rewriting the lyrics to a favourite song.
- understand the environmental problems associated with sending green waste to landfill
- recognise the benefits of composting
- understand how to plan a communication project and how to communicate positive messages about green waste recycling to the community.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian curriculum content descriptions:
English Year 5:
Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
English Year 6:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
Design and Technologies Year 5 & 6:
- Investigate how people in design and technologies occupations address competing considerations, including sustainability in the design of products, services and environments for current and future use (ACTDEK019)
- Critique needs or opportunities for designing, and investigate materials, components, tools, equipment and processes to achieve intended designed solutions (ACTDEP024)
Syllabus Outcomes: EN3-2A, ST3-14BE, ST3-15I, ST3-16P, ST3-5WT.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity.
- Student Worksheet
- Internet access
- Desktop or online song recording program
- Project Action Planning – Tips for success.
Following these lessons plans is an ideal way for your students and the community to tune in to what happens to green waste once it is collected in a kerbside bin. The Back to Earth initiative is about connecting people with what happens to green waste once it leaves the garden, how it is processed, what it is used for at the end of this cycle and why its important to put the right things into the bin!
Join thousands of others who have learnt about the benefits of using their green waste service correctly, for their communities and for the planet. Don’t forget to check out the Back to Earth initiative website: www.backtoearth.vic.gov.au – to learn more.