In this activity, students are given a range of animal names and are asked to find other students with the same animal name using only the call and characteristics of their animal.
- understand that we associate many animals with the call they make and animals communicate for a range of purposes
- learn to listen to the different animal sounds and identify which animal is which.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 Science:
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
Year 6 Science:
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-10LW, ST3-11LW.
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 15 – 20 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assign students with animal names. You may need to give the students an indicator of the sound if they don’t know.
- Printed animal name for each student, or create your own
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.