Students will consider why and how people litter, then develop a campaign to convince litterbugs to refuse, reduce, reuse and recycle. They will consider the environmental and social impacts of littering.
- understand the social and environmental implications of littering
- begin to take responsibility for unwanted food packaging
- will rethink the concept of why people litter and how they can change litterbugs value set.
- think critically about how other people might think about and perceive litter
- be persuasive when communicating messages about not littering.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 9 English:
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that present a point of view and advance or illustrate arguments, including texts that integrate visual, print and/or audio features (ACELY1746)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements for aesthetic and playful purposes (ACELY1741)
- Use interaction skills to present and discuss an idea and to influence and engage an audience by selecting persuasive language, varying voice tone, pitch, and pace, and using elements such as music and sound effects (ACELY1811)
Year 10 English:
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756)
- Identify and explore the purposes and effects of different text structures and language features of spoken texts, and use this knowledge to create purposeful texts that inform, persuade and engage (ACELY1750)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements to influence a course of action (ACELY1751)
Syllabus outcomes: EN5-2A, EN5-1A, EN5-3B.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Time required: 60+ mins.
- Access to device with editing software
- Poster making materials
- Various props as required
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving