Students use a thinking tool to organise their ideas about water. They explore the properties of water using a tub of water. They match the properties of water with words they commonly use.
- The many properties of water allow us to do many different things with it. Water is essential to the existence of life. There are many words that describe the properties of water.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 Science:
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (ACSIS053)
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Year 4 Science:
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (ACSIS064)
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Syllabus outcomes: ST2-11LW, ST2-4WS.
Time required: 40 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead students in a discussion around water.
Activity sheets and for each group:
- Small tub, ice cream container or plastic library tub with water
- One drinking straw per student
- A wiping cloth
- Small plastic cups or other plastic containers
- An old towel (for wiping hands)
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.