Students will develop a design for a hoodie that symbolises the school group or context they are in. Using AIME’s Making of a Hoodie (MOAH) podcast, students create a designed solution that takes into account the needs and opportunities for designing, material selection and equipment and processes, as well as generating and communicating design ideas to a specific audience.
- explore needs and opportunities for designing a hoodie for their school context or for a specific audience.
- assess needs and opportunities to create designed solutions
- select appropriate materials, tools, equipment and processes to create their collective hoodie
- use digital tools to generate, test and communicate their ideas and solutions to a specific audience.
Lesson guides and printables
21st Century Skills
- Critical thinking
- Cultural understanding
- Social skills
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content description:
Design and Technology:
Years 7 & 8 Design & Technologies:
- Analyse needs or opportunities for designing, and investigate and select materials, components, tools, equipment and processes to create designed solutions (AC9TDE8P01)
- Generate, test, iterate and communicate design ideas, processes and solutions using technical terms and graphical representation techniques, including using digital tools (AC9TDE8P02)
Years 9 & 10 Design & Technologies:
- Analyse needs or opportunities for designing; develop design briefs; and investigate, analyse and select materials, systems, components, tools and equipment to create designed solutions (AC9TDE10P01)
- apply innovation and enterprise skills to generate, test, iterate and communicate design ideas, processes and solutions, including using digital tools (AC9TDE10P02)
Syllabus Outcomes: DT4-5, DT5-5, DT4-6, DT5-6, DT4-7, DT5-7
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 7 - 10 achievement standards: Students create, adapt and refine design ideas, processes and solutions and justify their decisions against developed design criteria that include sustainability. They communicate design ideas, processes and solutions to a range of audiences, including using digital tools
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development
- Access to internet and links embedded in the lessons
- Device capable of presenting audio and video to the class
- Student Worksheets - one copy per student
- Writing materials
In the Making of a Hoodie Podcast, the host, Jack Manning Bancroft, gathers with groups of unlikely connections to dive deep on challenges, topics and issues, explore guest stories and design a hoodie together to collectively represent them.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium - Facilitation of discussion and guiding students through the design