Different cultures have developed different methods of multiplication. In this series of activities, we explore different multiplication methods to strengthen students' number understanding and provide them with different methods for tackling multiplication. In this activity, students will explore the Chinese Method of multiplication.
- explore and apply the Chinese Method of Multiplication.
- explain and apply the Chinese Method of multiplication
- discuss different methods for multiplication.
Lesson guides and printables
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- creative thinking
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content descriptions - English
Students learn to:
- solve problems involving multiplication of larger numbers by one- or two-digit numbers, choosing efficient calculation strategies and using digital tools where appropriate; check the reasonableness of answers (AC9M5N06)
- solve problems that require finding a familiar fraction, decimal or percentage of a quantity, including percentage discounts, choosing efficient calculation strategies and using digital tools where appropriate (AC9M6N07).
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Numeracy
Relevant parts of Year 5 & 6 achievement standards: Students use their proficiency with multiplication facts to multiply numbers efficiently. Students solve problems involving finding a fraction, decimal or percentage of a quantity.
- selects and applies appropriate strategies to solve multiplication and division problems (MA3-MR-01)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Target 4.6: By 2030, ensure that all youth and a substantial proportion of adults, both men and women, achieve literacy and numeracy.
- Board to demonstrate method
- Student notebooks and writing implements
- Optional: calculators and timers
- Student Worksheet - We have provided differentiated worksheets so you can choose the level appropriate for your students.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High-explicit teaching of mathematical method.