Children investigate what nature is and what parts of nature they can find at their service. Younger children are invited to handle a range of natural materials and to sort these materials in different ways. Older children will investigate the nature at their service and create an ABC book of nature, recording and categorising the nature they see through the alphabet.
- This activity is designed to help connect children to the wonders of the natural world through sensory and play-based learning.
Lesson guides and printables
Learning Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
2.4 Children become socially responsible and show respect for the environment
Learning Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners
4.1 Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
4.4 Children resource their own learning through connecting with people, place, technologies and natural and processed materials
Learning Outcome 5: Children are effective communicators
5.1 Children interact verbally and non,verbally with others for a range of purposes
5.3 Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media
Ages 0 – 2:
Collect a range of materials that resemble different parts of nature, for example:
- Animals – Feathers, shells, fur or wool, leather, scales etc.
- Plants – Dry and green leaves or grass, seeds and seed pods (place any small items in tubs with sealed lids), bark, sticks etc.
- Water – Tubs of water that children can play with and/or spray bottle.
- Air – Paper fan for creating wind.
- Soil – Sand, dirt, mud and or clay.
- A range of art tools such as Jumbo Colour Pencils, Connector Paint Box, Jumbo Wax Crayons, Playsafe Broad Tip Colour Markers and Jumbo Connector Pens.
- Glue and sticky tape.
Ages 3 – 5:
- Materials for creating a book including art tools such as Jumbo Colour Pencils, Connector Paint Box, Jumbo Wax Crayons, Playsafe Broad Tip Colour Markers and Jumbo Connector Pens.
Faber-Castell has long understood the importance of creativity to all people, especially to young people. It is also continuously searching for environmentally friendly processes and high-quality materials to enhance children’s creative experiences throughout every development phase. For more information about Faber-Castell, click here.