Students will create a drawing of a purple people eater monster that is made up of a series of different shapes. Students need to listen carefully to the instructions for their drawing and share their final results with the class.
- explore different 2D shapes.
- incorporate different 2D shapes into a drawing
- listen and respond to instructions.
Activity guides and printables
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content description:
Year 1 Maths:
- Make, compare and classify familiar shapes; recognise familiar shapes and objects in the environment, identifying the similarities and differences between them (AC9M1SP01)
Year 2 Maths:
- Recognise, compare and classify shapes, referencing the number of sides and using spatial terms such as “opposite”, “parallel”, “curved” and “straight” (AC9M2SP01)
Relevant parts of Year 1 Mathematics achievement standards: Students make, compare and classify shapes and objects using obvious features.
Relevant parts of Year 2 Mathematics achievement standards: Students compare and classify shapes, describing features using formal spatial terms.
NSW Syllabus outcomes: MA2-1WM
- Drawing materials
This is an original Cool+ lesson.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium - the teacher needs to explain the task and read out the drawing prompts.
Related Professional Learning
We don’t have any related professional courses for this lesson at the moment, but we do have heaps of other Cool professional learning here.