Students will play a word game where they are assigned one of the following parts of speech; noun, verb or adjective. When a word such as ‘chair’ or ‘jump’ is called out, those students assigned with the correct part of speech need to run for it and avoid being tagged!
- explore nouns, verbs and adjectives in a new and energetic way.
- recognise nouns, verbs and adjectives.
Activity guides and printables
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- critical thinking
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content description:
Year 5 English:
- Understand how noun groups can be expanded in a variety of ways to provide a fuller description of a person, place, thing or idea (AC9E5LA06)
- Understand how ideas can be expanded and sharpened through careful choice of verbs, elaborated tenses and a range of adverb groups (AC9E6LA06)
Relevant parts of Year 5 English achievement standards: For particular purposes and audiences, they share, develop and expand on ideas and opinions, using supporting details from topics or texts.
Relevant parts of Year 6 English achievement standards: For particular purposes and audiences, they share, develop, explain and elaborate on ideas from topics or texts.
NSW Syllabus outcomes: EN2-1A
- List of words that includes nouns, verbs and adjectives (optional)
- Open space, like a basketball court or a soccer field
- Piece or string or ribbon to create a line on the court or field.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High - the teacher needs to supervise students outdoors and lead them in the activity.
This is an original Cool+ lesson.
Related Professional Learning
We don’t have any related professional courses for this lesson at the moment, but we do have heaps of other Cool professional learning here.