The activity challenges the students to draw together all that they have learned about waste in the unit and communicate the 4Rs to others in the school or at home.
- understand that the 4Rs and other tools can help us to cut the amount of waste we throw away.
- learn that there are many ways that we can communicate these tools to others.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features and selecting print, and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1682)
- Use software including word processing programs with growing speed and efficiency to construct and edit texts featuring visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1685)
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 3 Science:
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS060)
Year 4 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts containing key information and supporting details for a widening range of audiences, demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features (ACELY1694)
- Use a range of software including word processing programs to construct, edit and publish written text, and select, edit and place visual, print and audio elements (ACELY1697)
Year 4 Science:
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Year 4 Geography:
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Time required: Several classes of 60 mins each.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate the process.
- Depending on the communication medium chosen by the students: art materials, computer with internet access, camera, movie camera.
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.