Students will learn about recycling, separating rubbish and how we can use re-use items rather than put them in the waste bin! Students will understand the importance of reducing landfill waste and explore ways in which we can be creative and re-use items. They create a new product out of some schoolyard waste and design a TV advert for their new product.
- develop a sense of responsibility around the waste that they produce
- build an understanding of the benefits of recycling
- discover new ways that waste items can be reused.
- make recommendations about why we should recycle
- suggest ideas for reusing waste by planning/creating a TV commercial.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 English:
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 3 Science:
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS060)
Year 4 Science:
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS071)
Year 4 Geography:
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Time required: 120 minutes, plus extra time for students to collaboratively create a TV advert.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium.
- A range of packaging items
- Device capable of filming if you want to record the student’s presentations
This lesson is designed to build students’ competencies in the following skills:
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving