Students venture outside and focus on place-based art practices. They are guided through several plein-air* exercises where they will choose their favourite sites on school grounds and represent them through artistic means.
*Plein air painting is about leaving the four walls of your studio behind and experiencing painting and drawing in the landscape.
- observe and document their shared surroundings.
- contribute to the class project using their surroundings
- demonstrate their ability to incorporate a sense of place into their designs.
Lesson guides and printables
21st Century Skills
- Critical thinking
- Social skills
Australian Curriculum (v9.0) content description:
- experiment with visual conventions, visual arts processes and materials to refine skills and develop personal expression (AC9AVA10D01)
- select and manipulate visual conventions, visual arts processes and/or materials to create artworks that reflect personal expression, and represent and/or challenge, ideas, perspectives and/or meaning (AC9AVA10C02)
- Visual Arts, Practice, Outcome 5.1: Develops range and autonomy in selecting and applying visual arts conventions and procedures to make artworks
- Visual Arts, Resolution, Outcome 5.6: Demonstrates developing technical accomplishment and refinement in making artworks
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 9 & 10 achievement standards:
Students can analyse how and why visual conventions, visual arts processes and materials are manipulated in artworks they create and/or experience. Students draw on inspiration from multiple sources to generate and develop ideas for artworks. They document and reflect on their own visual arts practice. They use knowledge of visual conventions, visual arts processes and materials to create artworks that represent and/or communicate ideas, perspectives and/or meaning.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.1 - By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and effective learning outcomes.
Target 4.5 - By 2030, eliminate gender disparities in education and ensure equal access to all levels of education and vocational training for the vulnerable, including persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and children in vulnerable situations.
Target 4.7 - By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
In the Making of a Hoodie Podcast, the host, Jack Manning Bancroft, gathers with groups of unlikely connections to dive deep on challenges, topics and issues, explore guest stories and design a hoodie together to collectively represent them.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium - Facilitation of Plein air exercises and discussion