The aim of this activity is to help children make sense of mindfulness by using nature as a stimulus. Children will tune into their breathing and body, their inner thoughts and feelings. They will also develop skills in focus, attention, resilience, emotional intelligence and regulation of the body and emotions.
- This activity has been developed to give children the opportunity to explore activities around mindfulness, nature and personal well being.
Lesson guides and printables
Learning Outcome 1:
- Children have a strong sense of identity
- 1.1 Children feel safe, secure, and supported
- 1.2 Children develop their emerging autonomy, interdependence, resilience and sense of agency
- 1.3 Children develop knowledgeable and confident self identities
- 1.4 Children learn to interact in relation to others with care, empathy and respect
Learning Outcome 3:
- Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- 3.2 Children take increasing responsibility for their own health and physical wellbeing
Each child will need a soft toy/animal/something special to use as a breathing buddy.
- Cool Australia audio recording – The Nature of Mindfulness – Breathing Buddies Forever – Early Learning
- Cool Australia audio recording – The Nature of Mindfulness – Smiling on the Inside – Early Learning
- Cool Australia factsheet – The Benefits of Mindfulness
- Cool Australia factsheet – The Importance of Mindfulness for Young Children