Students use their prior knowledge to organise their ideas about their reliance on energy. They sort ten energy items into columns based on necessity.
- recognise the role of energy and our dependence on various energy sources
- use their knowledge as the basis of new learning and communicate effectively with others.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 9 Science:
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE228)
Year 10 Science:
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE230)
- Energy conservation in a system can be explained by describing energy transfers and transformations (ACSSU190)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-11PW.
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 20 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Help students value their prior knowledge.
- Writing materials
- Internet access for online student worksheet.
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.