This teaching resource provides you with multiple lessons worth of material that can be used to immerse students in, and connect with, the positive sustainability messages explored in the documentary film 2040. Students begin by assessing where their community is in terms of the themes of the 2040 documentary. Next, students take inspiration from the solutions presented in 2040, to propose ideas for leading their community to a better future.
Students work collaboratively to develop a 2040 vision for their community and present their ideas to the community. Based on feedback from the community, they then work together to design, plan and implement a project from their 2040 community vision. The social action created can be used to engage your school or the wider community. Following project completion, students will celebrate and reflect on the success of their project and their participation in the project.
- understand that they have a role to play in creating the future they want to see
- understand and plan the processes required for planning and executing a social action project
- assess their community according to criteria
- identify an action they want to take for a better future in their community
- follow the processes and steps required for planning and executing a social action project
- participate in group and class discussion
- work collaboratively and independently
- use their skills and interests to engage their community in conversations and actions for change
Lesson guides and printables
- Unit of work: 2040 – Business & Economics, 2040 – Mathematics, 2040 – Geography, 2040 – English, and 2040 – Science.
- Time required: 290+ mins
- Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activities and facilitate class discussions
This teaching resource is designed to guide students through a project where they will consolidate and extend learning from any of the other lessons in the 2040 units; 2040 – Business & Economics, 2040 – Mathematics, 2040 – Geography, 2040 – English, and 2040 – Science. It works in support of the curriculum points explored in those units.
2040 is an innovative feature documentary that looks to the future, but is vitally important NOW! Director Damon Gameau embarks on a journey to explore what the future could look like by the year 2040 if we simply embraced the best solutions already available to us to improve our planet and shifted them rapidly into the mainstream.
In Australia: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for Australian primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
In New Zealand: Order the Schools Version of the 2040 DVD. The Schools Version includes an educational license and is for New Zealand primary and secondary schools that wish to utilise the film as a learning tool or host free on-site screenings for the school community.
If you are teaching in either New Zealand or Australia, you can now organise a virtual screening of the film for your class. To enquire about this option, simply email email@example.com and the 2040 team will help you set this up! If you have already bought a DVD of the film and you have a ClickView account, you can email the team for permission to upload the film to your account to make it more easily accessible for your teachers and students.
Cool.org, GoodThing Productions and Regen Pictures would like to acknowledge the generous contributions of Good Pitch Australia, Shark Island Institute, Documentary Australia Foundation, The Caledonia Foundation and our philanthropic partners in the development of these teaching resources.