Students work in small groups to research the school waste system and then use their research findings to produce a five minute presentation called Our school waste tour.
- understand that a school may have many waste collection containers and processes for collecting and disposing of its waste. Together, these containers and processes make up a waste management system.
- understand that there are a number of different waste streams in a school.
Lesson guides and printables
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 9 Geography:
- Develop geographically significant questions and plan an inquiry that identifies and applies appropriate geographical methodologies and concepts (ACHGS063)
- Collect, select, record and organise relevant geographical data and information, using ethical protocols, from a range of appropriate primary and secondary sources (ACHGS064)
- The effects of the production and consumption of goods on places and environments throughout the world (ACHGK068)
- Present findings, arguments and explanations in a range of appropriate communication forms, selected for their effectiveness and to suit audience and purpose; using relevant geographical terminology, and digital technologies as appropriate (ACHGS070)
Syllabus Outcomes: GE4-2, GE4-3, GE4-4, GE4-5, GE5-7, GE5-8.
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – introduce and direct activity.
- Art materials
- iPad or smart phones with cameras.
This is an original Cool.org lesson. Facts and figures in these lessons may have changed since this lesson was published. We always endeavour to update our resources in a timely manner, but if you see an error or issue in our resources please get in touch with us.