Generalising is putting people into boxes. Students will reflect on their personal experiences and the experiences of peers who have been generalised by others. They will evaluate how these experiences could change if kindness was demonstrated, and the impact of these behaviours on the mental health and wellbeing of others.
It is recommended that this lesson is delivered as part of the Tackling Racism Through Sport unit. This will help students to strengthen their understanding of these concepts and inspire them to have healthy and constructive conversations about race and racism. It may also support students to challenge racist behaviours and attitudes in themselves and others.
- understand the importance of acting with kindness
- reflect on, and assess, their experiences and the experiences of others.
- identify the behaviours of generalisation
- demonstrate how to respond and act with kindness
- engage respectfully in class discussions.
Lesson Guides and Printables
Years 9 & 10 Health and Physical Education:
- Analyse factors that shape identities and evaluate how individuals influence the identities of others (AC9HP10P01)
- Evaluate the influence of respect, empathy, power and coercion on establishing and maintaining respectful relationships (AC9HP10P04)
- Evaluate emotional responses in different situations to refine strategies for managing emotions (AC9HP10P06)
- Plan, justify and critique strategies to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, relationships and wellbeing (AC9HP10P10)
Syllabus outcomes: PDHPE5.3, PDHPE5.6, PDHPE5.7, PDHPE5.8, PDHPE5.11, PDHPE5.13, PDHPE5.16.
Relevant parts of Years 9 & 10 Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students critically analyse contextual factors that influence identities, relationships, decisions and behaviours. They analyse the impact attitudes and beliefs about diversity have on community connection and wellbeing. They evaluate the outcomes of emotional responses to different situations.
Teaching time: 65 minutes
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – this lesson requires you to facilitate class discussions, lead and provide students with instruction in activities.
- A4 paper
- Blu-tack or other preferred method of hanging a poster
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Lined paper or a small journal for each student
- Student worksheet – one per student.
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural Understanding
- Social Skills