Students will consider how personal strengths and skills can help tackle a range of life challenges. To demonstrate their understanding, they will produce a children’s story featuring a character who overcomes a relatable challenge using their unique skills and strengths.
- explore how personal strengths and skills can assist people to overcome life challenges.
- outline how storytelling can assist people to learn important life lessons
- write a children’s story featuring a character who overcomes a challenge using their strengths and skills
- present their story and identify common themes (in relation to challenges, skills and strengths).
Lesson guides and printables
- Critical thinking
- Social skills
Health and Physical Education – Years 7 and 8 – Personal, social and community health – Identities and change:
- Analyse and reflect on the influence of values and beliefs on the development of identities (AC9HP8P01).
General Capabilities – Personal and Social Capability – Years 7 and 8 – Self-awareness:
- Evaluate strategies for developing personal qualities and describe how they assist achieving growth.
Syllabus outcome: (PD4-1)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
This lesson has been created in collaboration with LifeChanger Foundation to support teachers to deliver high-quality Health and Physical Education, as well as Social and Emotional Learning experiences.
LifeChanger’s facilitated programs and workshops aim to empower young people (Year 5-12) to live thriving, resilient lives. For more information, visit lifechanger.org.au.