Students identify commonalities with their peers and how they can support each other by sharing their lived experiences and learnings, resulting in increased connection and trust. They also practise expressing gratitude for one another and discussing the associated benefits.
- explore the benefits of getting to know their peers, expressing gratitude and giving and receiving support to those who’ve experienced similar challenges.
- explain the benefits of recognising commonalities with their peers
- express and receive gratitude from peers and discuss how doing so can enhance connection
- share and respond to peers’ personal challenges and offer advice based on lived experience and learnings.
Lesson guides and printables
- Social skills
Health and Physical Education – Years 7 and 8 – Personal, social and community health – Interaction with others:
- Examine the roles of respect, empathy, power and coercion in developing respectful relationships (AC9HP8P04).
General Capabilities – Personal and Social Capability – Years 7 and 8 – Social awareness:
- Analyse indicators of healthy and challenging relationships, and how to manage the differences.
Syllabus outcome: (PD4-3)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
- Support Box (shoe box with a slit in the top for submissions)
- Scrap paper
This lesson has been created in collaboration with LifeChanger Foundation to support teachers to deliver high-quality Health and Physical Education, as well as Social and Emotional Learning experiences.
LifeChanger’s facilitated programs and workshops aim to empower young people (Year 5-12) to live thriving, resilient lives. For more information, visit lifechanger.org.au.