Students identify people they go to for support and write a letter to someone from their support network to express their appreciation and gratitude. They also explore common conflicts experienced by young people and discuss effective strategies they could use to work through them.
- identify their support network and how they can show appreciation for their support. They will also explore common conflicts and effective resolution strategies.
- define their inner and outer support network
- compose a letter to someone in their support network to express gratitude and appreciation
- give relevant examples of conflict and identify appropriate strategies to resolve issues.
Lesson guides and printables
- Social skills
Health and Physical Education – Years 7 and 8 – Personal, social and community health – Interaction with others:
- Examine the roles of respect, empathy, power and coercion in developing respectful relationships (AC9HP8P04).
General Capabilities – Personal and Social Capability – Years 7 and 8 – Social management:
- Select and apply conflict prevention and resolution strategies in a range of contexts, based on an evaluation of suitability and effectiveness.
Syllabus outcome: (PD4-3)
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Target 4.7: By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development.
This lesson has been created in collaboration with LifeChanger Foundation to support teachers to deliver high-quality Health and Physical Education, as well as Social and Emotional Learning experiences.
LifeChanger’s facilitated programs and workshops aim to empower young people (Year 5-12) to live thriving, resilient lives. For more information, visit lifechanger.org.au.